Matt is the Chief Technology Officer at Axios, helping to build systems and processes that power a new approach to news. He enjoys working with smart people with different backgrounds and skills in order to always be both learning and teaching. The projects and systems he builds push new tech to its limits and have respect for their users. An accomplished speaker and writer, he collaborates with developers and engineers, product and project managers, and C-suite executives equally well. His approach to discovery and innovation have proven applicable to product development, corporate strategy, process management, and invention alike.
At Axios he works alongside his partner, Alexis Lloyd; they previously collaborated at The New York Times’s R&D Lab, focusing on operations, management, strategy and interconnections with the rest of the company. Prior to that he worked in Accenture's Media and Entertainment consulting division, creating process and technology solutions for clients including PBS, Verizon, Discovery Communications, The Washington Post, The Associated Press, and EMI Music.
- R&D Management Innovation Summit, Chicago - Past and Future of NYT R&D (Opening Keynote, 2016)
- Journalism/Interactive - Past and Future of NYT R&D (Opening Keynote, 2016)
- Nouvelles Pratiques du Journalisme, SciencesPo - Overview of R&D / Our Path Forward (Talk, 2015)
- GDA-CAF 2015 Seminar "Media 2020: The Challenge of Innovation" - The Changing Focus of Innovation (Seminar & Workshop, 2015)
- NYC Media Lab - Future of Notifications (Panel, 2015)
- Special Libraries Association, Boston - Semantic Listening Can Build a Future from the Past (Talk, 2015)
- WAN-IFRA World News Media Congress - Live from the Lab (Talk, 2015)
- FutureEverything - Networked Material, with Alexis Lloyd (Keynote, 2015)
- Mediapark Jaarcongres - New Interactions in News (Keynote, 2014)
- Internet Week - Media and Technology in the Age of Disruption (Panel, 2013)
- Journalism/Interactive - Environmental Computing (Evening Keynote, 2013)
- Boston University - One More Lesson (Convocation Address / Distinguished Alumnus, 2010)
- Silver Medal, Innovation Program: Corporate Entrepreneur Awards (2015)
- Distinguished Alumnus Award: Boston University, Department of Computer Science (2010)